Friday 3 June 2011

Something good....

So my good story for today is again about goals and achieving them.  This time it is a goal I had completely overlooked......

I went to see Dr Helen today.  That in itself felt great as she was so pleased with my efforts and my progress.  This journey is ultimately about improving my health but I had overlooked health milestones as goals that I can achieve, and achieve I did!

3 months ago Dr Helen told me I had hypertension (high blood pressure) with a reading of 140/100.  She medicated me and gave me the talking to that began this journey - literally scared me to death (almost!).  Over the next month or so my readings stayed the same and my meds were increased.  They stopped going up and stayed steady at 135/98.

Then I began exercising.......

Today, 8 weeks later, my blood pressure is 130/82!!!  That is a massive drop in a very short time.  All my hard work is having an effect on my health.  It isn't just about weight and measurements, it's about how I feel and about my health.

In three weeks I will be having my next HbA1c.  This is a blood test to measure the average of my Blood Glucose Levels over the past three months.  It is a real indicator of how much control I have over the diabetes.  My last reading was 7.9, which isn't terrible but is not real good either.  Hopefully between increased meds and my weight loss and exercise efforts we will see a drop here too.  So I am adding this to my goal list as well......

Goal #3 - Lose 5% of body weight
Goal #4 - To continue running and achieve a 1km run before the end of June.
Goal #5 - To see a drop in my HbA1c reading at the end of June.

Can't wait to smash these ones as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment